Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Tried It Tuesday - Polishing Brass


A few months ago I picked up an old dresser, complete with brass plated hardware that I knew would be beautiful, once it got shined up a little.


I know I could have bought some brass polish and be done with it, but the DIY'er in me wanted to see if I could polish it up with something I already had on hand, rather than buying a big container of Brasso that I would have no further use for.


crumbsinmypurse.blogspot.com

So, Pinterest to the rescue.


After removing the hardware, I tried soaking it in lemon juice and then scrubbing with a soft cloth.



crumbsinmypurse.blogspot.com


No change. Or if there was, it wasn't noticable to me.


crumbsinmypurse.blogspot.com


Next up - a paste made from vinegar, salt, and flour.


crumbsinmypurse.blogspot.com

I mixed it all up together according to the directions, and slathered it all over the hardware.



crumbsinmypurse.blogspot.com



 30 minutes later, I washed them off and they didn't look any different.


crumbsinmypurse.blogspot.com

crumbsinmypurse.blogspot.com



Now I was getting frustrated.


I decided to wing it and pulled out some S.O.S. pads I had kicking around under the sink.  I was nervous it might scratch the finish, but honestly it was already scratched and even worn completely off in some places ( which is fine with me ) so I figured I had nothing to lose.

It worked! A quick scrub with the S.O.S. pad and a rinse under some warm water and they were shiny once more! They still have a worn look to them, as they are only brass plated and the finish has worn off in spots and is still dark in all of the grooves - perfect for a shabby chic lover like me!



crumbsinmypurse.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...